The Financial Times has a rather technical piece on the effect of some changes in how British Universities will be funded. Basically, the universities have been told
- top students won’t count against your quota.
- quotas will be cut in proportion.
- non-university institutes of higher learning have successfully obtained 10000 quota places that were previously held by universities.
Continue reading Getting Your Kid Into a UK University
The EPSRC, or “Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council” is the body in the UK that decides what kinds of research in the physical sciences will get government grant money. Grant money is needed for advanced research in mathematics for the following reasons :
- This kind of research produces amazing benefits down the track, however
- The benefits come too slowly for the private sector to be interested in funding research
Continue reading No More Money for British Maths